Savvy Scrumptious Award Contender: Kumato


I was already a HUGE Sunset Produce fan...their divine Campari and Gourmet MEDLEY tomatoes have been my Solanum lycopersicum of choice for several years...but when I spotted their amazing Kumato I knew I was in for a treat. The fruit is striking to say the least. It's plump, stout and did I mention that it was an interesting shade of dark brown. I must admit, Kumato's appearance is a big part of its intrigue. Although its unusual, almost alien, it looks absolutely delicious.
As a rule of thumb with any tomato, it's best to not refrigerate. I store my tomatoes (and avocados) in a deep wooden bowl on the countertop...they're allowed to ripen beautifully and they make a chic organic accent piece in the kitchen.
The Kumato is not only amazing when sliced fresh off the vine with a little coarse sea salt (Fumée de Sel is one of the best), fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar and basil as salad caprese, but the Kumato is absolutely beautiful when sauteed, grilled or baked.
If you're the type who refuses to judge a book by its cover (and have an affinity for tomatoes) then you will absolutely love the Kumato. If you can't get over it's appearance then shame on you!! **playfully scolding** You have no clue of what you're missing!